The maximum cost of your project (100% full economic cost) can be between £3 million and £6 million, depending on the topic you choose.
Your project can last up to 4 years.
You must notify NERC of your intent to submit by 4:00pm on 15 February 2023.
Apply for funding to address 1 of 6 environmental ‘highlight topic’ research challenges.
Principal investigators and co-investigators may be involved in no more than 2 applications submitted to this funding opportunity. However, they may only apply as the principal investigator on 1 application.
We encourage multidisciplinary research and collaborations with other UK organisations. Other international and non-academic collaborators can be involved as project partners.
We encourage applications from diverse groups of researchers.
The inclusion of researcher co-investigators is encouraged where they have made a substantial intellectual contribution to the development of the application and will be engaged with the ensuing research. .
Your application must address issues within only 1 of these topics: A, B, C etc.
The highlight topics in this funding opportunity are:
- Topic A: risks and impacts of climate tipping points
- Topic B: climate feedbacks from physical disturbance of the seafloor
- Topic C: temperature and health: towards environmental solutions in a changing climate
- Topic D: the risks and co-benefits of ocean alkalinity enhancement and related carbon dioxide removal strategies on marine ecosystems
- Topic E: impacts of extreme weather events in Antarctica
- Topic F: building understanding of natural coastal protection by gravel barriers in a changing climate
More information on the topics here. MASTS will announce when this call is open.