Director of Science
Are you a successful and visionary scientist looking for a senior leadership role? At the MBA we have a strong reputation for attracting and developing talented scientists who share our passion for understanding the challenges facing our ocean. As world-class research organisation that has been leading key scientific advances for well over a century, we are offering you a unique opportunity to make a difference. The new role of Director of Science will provide strategic oversight to our expanding and diverse research programme. The goal will be to create an inspiring intellectual and collegiate ecosystem that encourages the discovery of new biology and ecology in the ocean, as well as standing up for, and boosting equality, diversity and inclusion. If you are a strategic thinker, effective senior manager and proven marine biology research leader then this is an exciting new role that will have a wide remit whilst allowing the successful candidate to further develop their research profile aligned to the MBA science pillars 1) Marine Microbiome; 2) Coastal Ecology; 3) Ocean Biology.You will make a genuine contribution to shaping the future of our ocean.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a PhD and a successful marine biology research background with strong publication record
- Demonstrate an innovative public engagement and scientific outreach portfolio
- Have demonstrable experience of successful management of research teams
- Be a strategic thinker with proven ability to set scientific strategy and direction
- Have leadership and change management skills with a passion for continuous improvement
- Have excellent communication, interpersonal, and written skills to engage effectively with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Have a proven ability to collaborate across functional boundaries to achieve shared goals
- We offer generous leave, 30 days annual leave plus statutory Bank Holidays
- 3 Privilege Days given by the MBA (used during festive closure week alongside the statutory Bank Holidays)
- Generous pension scheme – MBA will contribute 10% of basic salary into a defined contribution scheme with staff making a 3% minimum contribution. MBA will match additional employee contributions up to an additional 5%.
- Flexible and hybrid working arrangements
- Subsidised on site canteen with free tea and coffee
- 20-minute paid morning break
- Cycle to work scheme
- Electronic vehicle lease scheme
- Low cost bookable parking on site
Applications should be submitted via email to [email protected] (reference 0323DOSWW) by the closing time/date of 2300h on Sunday 4th June 2023. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in Plymouth 21st – 23rd June 2023.
Details on how to apply are available from www.mba.ac.uk/careers.