Closing Date 26/08/2022
Full time/Open Ended Appointment
Salary: £25,392 with yearly incremental rises to the top of the grade
PML is seeking a highly motivated Junior Marine Scientist with a background in chemistry, biology or biogeochemistry to be a key part of the team delivering their internationally recognised Western Channel Observatory (Western Channel Observatory) and Atlantic Meridional Transect (AMT – Oceanographic research cruise from the UK to the South Atlantic (amt-uk.org)) programmes.
Ideally you will be a graduate with an eye for detail having analytical skills readily adaptable for laboratory and field-based activities. The position will provide training in all aspects of marine biogeochemistry including chlorophyll, suspended particulates, oxygen and inorganic nutrient analysis and you will be expected to quickly turn these skills into delivering high quality data supporting some of the longest climate relevant time-series in the world.
There will be several opportunities for field-going expeditions ranging from the local Plymouth Sound to the remotest parts of the Atlantic Ocean and you will need to pass ENG1 medical for seagoing activities. Some experience in the use of data processing and statistics would prove advantageous.
Skills and Experiences
- Degree level education (Environmental/Marine sciences, chemistry or biology); marine science experience with good and proven aptitude over a range of laboratory based techniques and some experience of field based oceanography
- Ability to quickly learn new and varied skills
- Excellent team player: quickly become a key member of the team delivering the weekly WCO sampling
- Ability to work with different groups within the laboratory when needed
- Eye for detail to enable production of high quality data.
- Good grasp of statistical skills required for the job
- Able to use standard Microsoft office packages; data entry, data manipulation, report writing.
- Need to manage small budgets, raise Purchase Orders etc.
- Full driving licence and boat handling would be an advantage