The position is for a period of 18 months (100% FTE, initial appointment is 12 months with the opportunity of extension to 18 months). The position is based at the European Institute for Marine Studies (IUEM). The salary is in accordance with the University of Brest salary scale (approx. 2000€/month before income tax).
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and an ideal start date is March 1, 2023.
TheAMUREresearch unitis looking for a postdoctoral scholar to contribute totheDEEP-RESTresearch project funded through the Biodiversa and Water JPI joint call under the BiodivRestore ERA-NET Cofund Action. The project investigates the conservation and restoration of marine ecosystems in a context of deep-sea mining. The project aims to clarify fundamental questions related to the identification of areas to be set aside for conservation, those that can be mined with minimum harm (if they exist), and those that are most adequate as reference areas to assess mining impacts. The project also seeks to identify governance arrangements that would be suitable to implement efficient conservation and restoration policies in relation to the broader institutional environment, including current discussions within the International Seabed Authority and negotiations around the BBNJ agreement, and mining prospects as set by research and industry.We are looking for someone with experienceintheanalysis of governanceinstitutionsrelated to marineor environmentalpolicy.The postdoc will workin closecollaborationwithateam of economistsfrom Ifremer and the University of Brestaswell aswithresearchers from a variety of natural and social science fieldsinvolved inDEEP–REST.
- Carry out aninstitutional analysis of potential governance arrangements toimplement conservation and restoration policiesin a context of deep–seamining
- Work in aninterdisciplinary settingand collaborate with relevant projectpartners
- Lead and contribute to peer–reviewed scientific publicationsand other projectdeliverables such as policy briefs
- Communicate withrelevant stakeholdersincludingexperts from industry,environmental NGOs, government officials and policymakers
- Work independently to ensure successful completion ofproject deliverables.